
The Federal Government has reassured Nigerians that there is currently no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in the country, even as authorities intensify nationwide preparedness measures following recent outbreaks reported in parts of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday, Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Ali Pate, said the government had activated enhanced surveillance and emergency response mechanisms to strengthen the country’s readiness against any possible outbreak.
According to the minister, the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, working through the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Port Health Services and other relevant agencies, is closely monitoring developments in collaboration with the World Health Organization and regional health authorities.
“While Nigeria currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Federal Government is taking all necessary proactive measures to strengthen national preparedness, surveillance, and coordination mechanisms to protect the health and wellbeing of all Nigerians,” Pate stated.
The government said several precautionary steps have already been activated across the country, including enhanced disease surveillance, stricter screening procedures at airports and other entry points, improved laboratory readiness and reinforced infection prevention measures in health facilities.
Officials also disclosed that coordination with state ministries of health and relevant stakeholders had been intensified as part of efforts to ensure rapid detection and response in the event of any suspected case.
The minister urged Nigerians to remain calm and avoid spreading misinformation, stressing that there was no immediate cause for panic.
He advised citizens to maintain preventive health practices, including regular hand hygiene and avoiding contact with bodily fluids of persons showing symptoms of illness.
Pate also encouraged members of the public to promptly report unusual illnesses to the nearest healthcare facility, while healthcare workers nationwide were directed to maintain a high level of vigilance.
Healthcare professionals have been advised to strictly observe infection prevention and control protocols, quickly isolate suspected cases and report through established public health channels.
Nigeria earned international praise for successfully containing the Ebola outbreak that entered the country in 2014 after an infected Liberian-American traveller arrived in Lagos. Public health experts have since repeatedly cited the country’s emergency response framework as a model for outbreak containment in Africa.
The latest government advisory comes amid renewed concerns across parts of the continent following fresh Ebola cases reported in Central and East Africa, prompting several countries to strengthen border monitoring and disease surveillance systems.
Reaffirming the government’s commitment to national health security, Pate said authorities would continue to work with global and regional partners to protect Nigerians and sustain rapid response capabilities against infectious disease threats.










