
Armed men stormed St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Agwara LGA of Niger State, during the early hours of Friday, abducting students and staff, amid mounting security concerns in the country.
It is believed that up to 52 schoolchildren were taken in the raid.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the attack occurred around 2 a.m., and said tactical units and military forces have been deployed to comb nearby forests in a bid to rescue the victims.
In a statement, the Niger State government expressed its deep concern, noting that the kidnapping took place despite earlier intelligence warnings.
According to the state’s secretary, Abubakar Usman, St. Mary’s School had reopened even though authorities had previously ordered the temporary closure of all boarding schools in parts of the region due to security risks.
The Catholic Diocese of Kontagora, in whose territory the school falls, strongly condemned the abduction. In a public release, the diocese said a security guard was shot during the attack, and called for calm as the church works with government and traditional leaders to facilitate a safe rescue.
The Niger State government has opened an investigation into how the attack occurred, pointing to possible negligence by school management.
According to reports, the Department of State Services (DSS) had already issued warnings about the threat of violence in the area, but the school allegedly resumed operations without clearing its reopening with state authorities.
This abduction comes just days after another mass kidnapping in nearby Kebbi State, where 25 schoolgirls were abducted from a boarding school, and a vice-principal was shot dead.
The wave of attacks has renewed fears about the safety of children in Nigeria’s school system, especially in rural and underserved areas.
Bishop Yohana Dauwa Bulus of the Kontagora Diocese said the violence is a “tragic reminder” that “the country is no longer safe for its children.”
He urged the government to act swiftly to ensure the safe return of those kidnapped and to prevent future attacks.
As of now, no group has claimed responsibility for the assault on St. Mary’s, but security analysts point to armed bandit gangs — many of them former herders — as likely perpetrators.
Authorities have appealed to the public for patience and cooperation, calling on local communities to support ongoing rescue operations while they intensify efforts to bring the students and staff home safely.











